Does your writing business running like clockwork or more like a broken clock? If it’s the latter than you are losing money that could have been yours.
Obviously, the more time you have to write the more money you can make. Besides, who wants to spend all their time managing their business when there are so many other things to do and enjoy.
You can make more money and have more time, when you take steps to make your writing business run like clockwork. Here’s how to get started…
It surprises me to this day how many people are still not using an autoresponder to automate their email marketing efforts. I don’t care how small your list might be, you must have an autoresponder to automate the sending of emails to your list.
Autoresponders allow you to free-up more of your time to focus on those things that generate income – like writing! You simply load your autoresponder with email messages, then set them to be delivered at a specific day and time.
You can also set them to be delivered in response to an email you receive. When someone makes an inquiry about your writing business, your autoresponder can send them a reply letting them know that you’ve received their email and will respond within 24 hours.
You can also use autoresponders to send a broadcast message to all of your clients to announce news, a special promotion, or your blog updates. Think of all the time you’ll save using an autoresponder – time that can be spent writing (making money!)
Templates basically make everything easier. You can create template email responses to respond to your most frequently asked questions or email inquiries.
You can also create templates for content projects. For example, if you write articles for clients you can create a template for each different type of article.
EzineArticles.com gives the following 10 examples of article templates:
- How-To Article Template – Readers crave DIY articles! Provide your audience with a thorough and original how-to guide based on your own experience. This incredibly flexible and powerful template is a must-have for all Expert Authors.
- The Pros and Cons Article Template – There are always two sides to a story. Use this template to help your readers see the big picture by objectively weighing the pros and the cons for your next article.
- The Pain Avoidance Article Template – Everyone experiences pain in some form (e.g., physical, psychological, emotional, financial, etc.). This article template aids you in delivering real value by organizing your real world solutions to help your audience cope or eliminate their pain.
- Question & Answer Article Template – Answering questions is one way to establish or raise your credibility in your niche. Readers love the Q&A format because it delivers valuable information and is easier to read than paragraph after paragraph of copy.
- Top 7 Tips Article Template – This template helps you take one idea to create eight unique articles with less effort than you may believe. Use this strategy to address a variety of audiences and build your exposure – a general overview and then advanced tips, strategies, and insights.
- The I Love Article Template – Positive action often leads to a positive reaction. So why not share what you love? Write about your passions and favorite things by telling others what you love and why you love it.
- Things to Do/Avoid Article Template – Everyone likes checklists, reminders, and tips to achieving success or avoiding failure. Use this template to help structure your best tips, insights, methods, or strategies for your next set of articles.
- Principles of X Article Template – Your core beliefs, main values, philosophies, etc., make great articles with this template. Outline and describe key principles in you niche and provide the proof on why they are important.
- Traps and How to Escape Them Article Template – We’ve all been trapped from time to time: physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, financially, etc. Be the one to save the day with your expertise by delivering your readers an “escape plan.”
- Golden Rules Article Template – Why reinvent the wheel? Allow your readers to benefit from your hard-earned insights by providing the rules that sum up what you’ve discovered along the way. (Templates courtesy of EzineArticles)
You can create a template for virtually anything. There are email templates, headline writing templates, blog post templates, you name it and there’s probably a template for it.
Templates can increase the amount you can make by reducing the time it takes to write. If you are not already using templates then start!
- Automated Invoicing and Financial Reporting
Invoicing and your monthly and quarterly statements can eat up valuable time.Automate the process as much as possible and cut back on the time you spend in the role of accountant.
- Project Management
Use a project management tool or service to make communication with your customers easy. Project management tools also help you stay on track so you deliver every project on time.
- Editorial Calendar
Some project management tools also offer calendar and milestone functions. If your project management tool doesn’t consider creating an editorial calendar. This calendar will include every single deadline you have so you can schedule your workdays accordingly.
- Virtual Assistants
Virtual assistants can just make life easier. They can handle client communications. They can invoice. They can also research, edit and publish content for you.
- Work for Hire Agreements.
A simple work for hire agreement or a policies and procedures statement that your client agrees to helps you feel confident and assured that you and your client have a professional relationship. It helps remove stress.
- Client Questionnaire
Asking clients to fill out a questionnaire for each new project helps ensure you get all the information you need to do a great job. If you offer different types of writing services, consider creating a questionnaire for each type of service. For example, create a content questionnaire and a copy writing questionnaire.
- Web Forms
Use web forms on your website or blog so it’s quick and easy for prospects to get in touch with you. For example, you might have an inquiry form for new clients.
- Marketing Strategy and Schedule
Finally, because marketing is the key to lasting success, create a marketing strategy and schedule. For example, if social networking is part of your marketing strategy then schedule your daily interactions. You might schedule thirty minutes each day and one hour on the weekends for social networking.
The more you systematize your business and automate your tasks, the more time you’ll have for yourself. You can decide how to use that free time. Write and make more money or sit back and enjoy life. The choice is yours, once you have your writing business running like clockwork.
Be good to yourself,